A few months ago we were approached by Lionsgate with the idea of doing a Broforce / Expendabros mashup - an unpaid collaboration for guts and glory. We're sure you guys would agree that it would have been sacrilegious for us NOT to take such a great opportunity, and after hearing DOLPH LUNDGREN say Broforce! Well...
Because Expendabros took time and work, there won't be a Broforce update this month. We really hope you'll enjoy playing Expendabros while we work towards integrating the new content and systems we've created into Broforce for you. Here's what you can expect to see from Expendabros in Broforce:
- We used Expendabros as an opportunity to experiment with some storytelling techniques for Broforce, such as the ingame scripted sequences, cut scene images and mini-games. We'd love to hear your thoughts on those.
- While we won't be including the Expendabros characters in the official Broforce campaign, we will likely re-use some of their mechanics in future bros - like Toll Broad's dragon breath shotgun, and Broctor Death's badass combat system.
Toll Broad: Mashing up a shotgun, a dragon and Broad gets you a heavy handed m**** f***** dragon breath shotgun. Incinerate the surprised look off those mooks' faces.
- We're quite excited to see what you guys come up with in custom levels once we integrate these and other improvements made to the level editor, and as we work towards including workshop support for Broforce levels.
- The forest and warehouse/industrial themes will also be added, which will allow us to increase the length of the current Broforce campaign, something we know you've been asking for.
Bro Christmas: Striking freedom into the heads of terrorists with a deadly flurry of plus damage knives.
- Bazooka mooks
- Mook general
- Totem Turrets (thanks to you guys for that name!)
- Goliath Mech Boss (still touch-and-bro at this point)
- New villagers, including granny-villager-turned-ally-of-freedom!
Broney Ross: Double the gunning, with sticky bombs special.
Special thanks to David Edwards from Lionsgate for putting all this into motion.
And letting us get away with smashing Mel Gibson's face into a bloody pulp.
MEET THE REST OF THE EXPENDABROS TEAM...
Trent Broser: Maim. Destroy. Annihilate. Broser powehouses through missile trucks and mechs.
Bronnar Jenson: Blast holes into the soul of terror as the demolitions expert with a loaded buggy.
Bro Ceasar: His gatling gun takes a flying leap into the jaws of impending liberty. Tear up the scenic route in a haze of bullets.
Broctor Death: Taking melee weaponry to the next level with his incredible speed and agility. His knife uppercut ends debates.
P.S. We are at Gamescom! Come say hi! We have a booth with Devolver and with Indie Megabooth.
P.P.S. You should totally go see the Expendables 3 movie.
DEATH FROM ABOVE!
You asked for directional shooting... You got down.
Hover above your enemies and rain down democracy like an angel of justice.
COLONEL JAMES BRODOCK
Thought he was missing in action, but we found him.
With an unwavering thousand yard stare he's an unstoppable grenade spewing machine.
TURN UP THE VOLUME!
Massive in-game bronouncer and revised mook sounds overhaul!
Now with 100% less copyright infringement.
TWEAKS & FIXES
▪ Made GR-13 jump back correctly
▪ Fixed Boondock Bros avatar showing incorrectly for a second
▪ F12 now toggles HUD (rather than just hide it)
▪ Fixed Windows in City (and elsewhere) breaking after a radio tower start.
▪ More Agressive/Less Forgetful Mookopter
▪ Fixed Bombardment Flashes getting stuck during Time Bro Motion
▪ Improved Camera Trigger Actions
▪ Fix Dual Shock 3 controllers crashing on Macs (thanks Unity!)
▪ MANY fixes related to Macs and startup
▪ Fixed lack of propane momentum when stepping off propane tanks
▪ Improved Z ordering of background foliage
▪ A lot of work on the announcer voice
▪ Made muzzle flashes stick to guns
▪ 5% faster mook reaction times
▪ Scriptable enemies in Level Editor WORK IN PROGRESS!
▪ Ellen Ripbro's plasma damages terrain more
▪ Broniversal Soldier has a higher rate of fire for his primary weapon
▪ Villagers 2.0
▪ Bros can stand on mook parachutes.
DOUBLE BRO IMPACT!
NEW UPDATE TRAILER!
Meet Broniversal Soldier and his zombie super soldiers.
Democracy will find you even cowering in your grave...
Back from the year 2004 when time travel was invented.
RIDEABLE ARMOURED MOOK
Turn the tools of terror into tools of freedom!
From your feedback and reports, we've made some tweaks and changes...
* Indiana Brones has had a re-work
* You can now save custom levels after playing them
* Additive load in the level editor lets you combine campaigns you've created
* The Mammoth Kopter boss is slightly less soul destroying... but no less building destroying...
Why are you still reading and not PLAYING THIS UPDATE?
SIGN UP HERE to receive these updates in our newsletters!
BROFORCE IS LIVE ON STEAM EARLY ACCESS!!
That's right, we've launched on Steam Early Access! YEAH!
If you've pre-ordered, you'll be receiving an email from Humble Bundle shortly with a link to retrieve your Steam key. If you have any problems with this process, please email Humble Bundle> directly and they'll help you sort it out!
Our latest update delivers a devastating payload of fun with new ways to deliver fistfuls of democracy; including squishier sounding swine, new missions, and...the fearless RIPBRO!
The first female addition to the Broforce team, Ripbro has burst out of the chest of terror in a spray of liberty.
Check out the new tactical trailer!
I JUST WATCHED THE TRAILER - WHAAAAAA??????
Yes. Yes, that just happened. And it's coming soon.
There are a bro-ton more updates on their way to you, with new missions, locations, modes and bros as we build up to our late Summer launch!
We're also working super hard to improve the Online Multiplayer experience (and all aspects of the game) so we will keep putting out update fixes as we go.
BRONAN THE BROBARIAN
A vengeful brobarian sets off to avenge his homeland against evil terrorist threats brewing in distant lands.
A brute force, sword wielding hurricane of destruction and grunting.
Sporting the manliest moustache to ever sprout on a weathered face, Brochete brings a swarthy murderous intent, the dead eyes of a killer, and more knives than a cutlery department at Walmart.
Create a suicide bomber kebab for an all-American barbecue.
Dropping a carpet of death while levelling floor by floor, building by building, to bring you down.
And by the way....it's bullet proof.
So, it's finally here!
This is the first big test of the system and there will be a LOT of improvements (read "growing pains") to come.
Our team of handsome networking engineers of one man with a rapidly developing beard is working non stop on bug reports.
We'll keep you updated on patches, please bear with us!
NEW CITY LOOK
New in dusky orange and night time blue.
Beware terrorist propoganda on signboards, it may encourage you to question your hard won American values.
Coconuts reportedly kill 150 innocent people a year. We've decided they should be terrorists instead.
Also, we enhanced coconut deadliness to ensure it will be more.
They're well lubricated.
For impatient, rampaging bros, you can now arrive in the middle of the next mob of terrorists in half the time.
Check out our new BROFORCE beta update trailer!
Post and newsletter with all the juicy details coming soon!
Also, we've partnered with Devolver Digital - read all about it here:
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE FREE LIVES TEAM!
May your cup runneth over with
Herewith, a bursting-at-the-seams-with-manly-goodness Broforce update to perfect your holiday experience:
THE BOONDOCK BROS!
Strength: There are two of them.
Weakness: Twice the amount of bodies to catch bullets with.
Special Ability: Summon BRO DUCE! The Boondock Bros' terrifying, gun-weilding father.
Unique Tactic: Use your bro's death to fuel your fraternal rage and increase your fire power, then re-summon him.
A BATTLE AGAINST DOLF LUNDGREN FROM UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (GR13)
No-one hates peasant villagers more than GR13. Or would, if GR13 felt emotion.
But he doesn't, because he's a zombiefied-super-soldier addicted to super-soldier-regenerating-serum.
Nevertheless, a peasant villager ear-necklace is always a bold statement, one that GR13 would be happy to make.
If he could feel happiness. Which he can't.
VILLAGERS TAKE UP ARMS
Contrary to what GR13 would have you believe, ear necklaces aren't the only thing that peasant villagers are good for.
Now they can be given guns to help the good fight against terror.
As that wise old saying goes - shoot a terrorist, and the villagers are safe for a day.
Give them guns and teach them how to shoot, and they'll be safe forever...
Say goodbye to the carefree days of feeding dogs terrorist corpses.
Now, feeding on corpses makes these rabid canines gain super strength - growing larger and more powerful with each bloody meal of death.
Just like in real life.
DYNAMIC WEATHER EFFECTS
Be prepared for anything with new weather changing effects that may leave you soaking wet with a sunburn by the end of the battle.
Day/night cycles coming soon.
The terrorists eventually noticed that they had a severe weakness to bullets... So they came up with a solution, which involved welding a terrorist inside a two-ton suit of metal. It's really effective at everything...except maybe standing up.
Did you really thing that the only direction you were safe from terror was from below? No longer.
Introducing drills that eat through the earth, and deposit mooks on the surface.
Feel the power of your explosives on the environment as you detonate explosives near trees and watch them shake and quiver.
Broforce has terrain destruction.
Broforce has terrorist destruction.
But Broforce didn't have points...
In custom levels, you can now compete to be the most manly or the most wantonly violent. Check the forums for shared custom levels, or download from the level sharing service if you're an online tier backer.
Harnessing the power of the INTERNET, Broforce now brings you the opprtunity for infinate new levels to liberate! Combined with Level Editor, you can now create, publish and upload your levels, magically transporting them to bros' computers around the world - inflicting upon them great enjoyment...or great pain, depending on your desires.
Tell level creators what you think of their genuis and hard work, and have bros' vote on your levels as well, to bring the cream of the crop to the top.
- Sign posts (with words written on them)
- Can tag doodads in the Level Editor
- Brotality triggers, Entity triggers for when entities die
- The custom menu looks less like pants (and it'll get even better still)
- There will always be a bro that is spawned in the Level Editor (which is less confusing)
- Paratrooping Mooks don't spawn on screen
- Less z-fighting on trees and vehicles (though there is still more to do in this regard)
- Stopped McBrover's satchel packs exploding arbitrarily on doors
- Blocks don't float after being above cages
- Level Editor keeps better track of the level's filename
- Scout Mooks don't levitate while screaming
- Less forgetful Suicide Mooks
- Softened the tanks' explosion on death (that had the effect of launching bros into the tanks' rockets)
Jarred's hard at work making new enemies for you to kill (and new bros for you to kill them with) - coming soon to an update near you!
Like our new logo?
NEW BROFORCE TRAILER!
Enter the Brotrix - check it out:
Here's some concepting artwork we did for the trailer:
Welcome Mr Anderbro to the Broforce team. You can give him a first look by downloading the latest version of the beta.
The level editor has received its usual assortment of tweaks and fixes. It can now do basic mathematics, and you can spawn barrels above bros' heads.
Some manly artwork to end off:
Welcome to all our new backers! Here's the bro down:
- Have you joined the forums yet?
- Read previous newsletters on the website (just scroll down)
- Keep up to date on the beta changelog either via the forum blog or the beta updates tab on the website
- Access the latest version of the beta by visiting your Humble Bundle page (follow the link from the email you received when you pre-ordered and use your unique key to access the beta)
New Terrain Types
We grew concerned that there wasn't enough destruction in the levels. So we added...
SAND THAT WILL LITERALLY CRUMBLE BENEATH YOUR FEET AS YOU STEP ON IT.
Thanks to all you bros for the ongoing liberation efforts in the Vietnamese jungles.
Coincidentally, we've just discovered oil pipelines there.
In completely unrelated news, we've redoubled the liberation efforts in the Vietnamese jungles by introducing a competitive speed liberation mode that we call....
Update to Level Editor
Thanks for all the invaluable feedback we've received on Level Editor. You should find it to be a lot more user-friendly and powerful with the latest update.
If you haven't already, you really need to go check out some of the brotastic levels being shared on the forums.
Answers to such vitally important questions such as when will I get to play Broforce? Will it be Mac/Linux compatible? What's the difference between the tiers? What carat gold will the jacuzzis be? and more can be found in our handy and super informative pre-orders FAQ. Still stymied? Drop us an email>.
New update to the beta available now! Introducing:
- Build and play your own levels using the same tools that we use at Free Lives! It's still a little rough around the edges but we've got it to the point where it's slightly less easy to break the entire game by pressing one wrong button. (We hope). With your help we can make building a level as smooth as a baby dolphin's bum. We're really looking forward to playing some of your levels! Big thanks to our special team of testers who helped us get this far with the editor. Especially Douzeju, North pawfuly and EpicFailNot for the hours of feedback. High fives, bros!
We've enjoyed stealing all your awesome ideas. In order to make this more convenient for us, we've set up an All-Things-Broforce forum.
As a side benefit, you can also share your levels, report any bugs, feedback and suggestions here too. Find it here: www.broforcegame.com/forums